Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Birthday of Field Trips, Gingerbread and Love



As you may well have noticed from the profile update to the right, yesterday I turned 39. My near day long absence from the computer meant I didn't update it till the end of the day, leading one friend to question if I was no longer willing to broadcast my age. Maybe it's that things just seem to get better each year, but I really don't care that I am getting older. So the proud age announcement will stay!

I spent the morning with Eion on a field trip to the Science Museum and History Museum. He was a bit under the weather but having missed the last field trip, was not going to miss this one. The kids were great and I (really) had a good time.





After lunch, I was about to scoot out and E's teacher told me to have a great birthday. One of the other teachers then hauled me back in and had all 60ish Kindergarteners sing me Happy Birthday. When they were done, he said, "Now who wants to give Mrs. McK a birthday hug?" I think half the hands went up and I spent the next five minutes hugging the sweet things. One kid even put his hand back up for a second hug. I really, truly think there is no sweeter age than Kindergarten.

Later we had Christy, Andrew, and minions over for dinner and gingerbread house decorating. The kids had cooked up this idea the last time we were together and had been looking forward to it for weeks.




They had fun decorating (and eating) their houses. Maggie's was particularly stark. I think she ate almost all her toppings! I bought the pre-assembled variety, a decision about which I was very happy as the houses needing assembly had ongoing roof issues. But nothing we couldn't handle.

As they were sitting at the table, Eion told them, "I'm so glad you're here. You're my favorite friends."



Isn't it funny how what you want in a birthday changes? I can't say that 10 or 20 years ago this would have been my birthday plan but yesterday, Kindergarten hugs, a huge candy/frosting mess, and a quiet night at home with friends was just about perfect.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a super day.