Saturday, December 12, 2009

Poker, Interrupted

Last night was our couples poker group's holiday session. Instead of the usual one game with rebuys, we play four rapid fire tournaments. Each couple brings $25, $15, & $10 bottles of wine and a gag gift. First person out gets a gag gift. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place get wine.

In years past, Tim was the main recipient of the gag gifts but this year, Ann took his place and was the proud winner of such delights as Schlitz Malt Liquor.

Which, I must add, she drank like a complete champ!

Tim and I didn't fair too badly and when it was all said and done, had one $25, one $15, and one $10 bottle of wine. But the regrettable part was mid way through tournament number three, I heard my cell phone ring. This, in and of itself, was a minor miracle. Anyone who has tried to call me on it knows I almost NEVER hear it and pick up. Not to mention, the party was a tad, well, rowdy.

But I did hear and and saw it was my home number calling. For the briefest moment, I considered not picking up. My babysitter is an EMS worker, whatever it was, she could handle it for another hour or two. But even I, Katie the Heartless, couldn't handle the level of guilt that would be associated with ignoring an actual emergency and answered the phone. My kids, fine. Babysitter's Mother, broken leg and concussion. So I left Tim and headed, begrudgingly, home. While I absolutely hated leaving, I was pretty happy this morning that I had 7 hours of sleep to Tim's 5. Then again, he is napping now and I have all the kids. Shafted again.

No comments: